Vancouver’s aging arts infrastructure is in need of repair and replacement. When compared to cities such as Toronto and Montreal that have received millions of federal dollars in the last decade to revitalize their theatres and cultural institutions, it is clear we have much work to do.
In addition to promoting the economy, supporting arts and culture represents an investment in our multicultural, Aboriginal and community heritage.
With 2010 approaching, Mayor Sullivan & Councillor Elizabeth Ball will be working to capitalize on this opportunity to showcase Vancouver’s best to the world.
The following is a selection of accomplishments during the first half of the current Council’s term:
- $1.5 million over five years to establish a Cultural Tourism Fund
- $2.2 million upgrade for Pacific Coliseum & the Forum at Hastings Park
- $60 million upgrade of city’s civic theatres — including Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- approved bonuses for redevelopment of Vancouver Playhouse production facilities & construction of performance studio with festival facilities in new downtown CBC development
- $1.7 million annual funding increase over 2005 civic budget for Vancouver arts, culture & heritage projects
- increased funding for parks & libraries
- successfully introduced motion to name Southeast False Creek Island in honour of local First Nations
- restored funding for annual Canada Day fireworks celebration
- leveraged Olympic dollars to improve city owned recreation & community facilities
- created “Vancouver 125” plan to celebrate city’s anniversary in 2011
- supported upcoming local & international celebration of George Vancouver’s 250th birthday
- created Mayor’s Film Industry Task Force & Arts Roundtable
- funding for Vancouver’s 2009 Juno Awards bid
- secured over $200,000 in philanthropic funding to establish first Poet Laureate for Vancouver
- established Mayor’s Arts Awards to support established & emerging artists
- renewed three-year funding agreement with Vancouver Heritage Foundation
- initiated current study to establish multi-year funding for arts, culture & community grants